Friday 19 July 2013

"New hands" to lift the burdens : Mandela Day

Acts 20:35 :"In everything I did, I showed you that this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive'".


In South Africa (and I'm sure in some other Countries), we give 67 minutes of our time to make the world a better place on Nelson Mandela's birthday the 18th of July yearly.  Nelson Mandela himself inspired this idea when he said on his birthday in London in 2008: "It is time for new hands to lift the burdens.  It is in your hands now". So that specific day became one of caring for someone else or for a good cause.

Mother Teresa said: "Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work".

So, today therefore was an exciting day. It is always exciting doing something for somebody else. It makes you feel like a blessed person. After a demanding day at work a group of us went to a home for abandoned and abused girls. It was so absolutely rewarding to get so many hugs and love from the girls, as off course they are crying out for love. One of the 2 year old girls just did not want to let me go, she slept on my shoulder and held on to me making sure I would not let her go.  Another girl sat on my friends' lap and told her just how beautiful she was.  All of them just wanted our attention all at once. We helped them with homework, laughed together and made sure they were loved.  I often find myself wondering and crying out why moms and dads would just abandon their kids and neglect them.  I will file it in my "I don't understand" file and know that I don't want to judge, that is for God to do, although it hurts my heart so bad.  We can just love and be the hand that God wants us to be.  

Thank you Father that You enabled us to give a bit of emotional love and support today.  Children need so much love. You love them so much. 

After that we went to the old age home, my friends' work's project for their 67 minutes.  We must never forget about our old people.  Afterall, that is where our knowledge and wisdom lies.  They are so easily forgotton, but oh so very special.  

Wise words from Abraham Lincoln as he said: "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years".


We must just be available, as Jesus said, available vessels ... we don't have to care or feed 100's of people, we can just start with 1


Jesus helped and healed people all the time, even on a Sabbath. That just shows us the depth of His love and therefore in return how Jesus wants us to care.  Jesus could not stand to see people suffer, because of His compassion and empathy, and so that is what He expects of us.  Jesus said we have to look after the poor. And to be poor is not always about wealth but it is also about the helpless and the poor in spirit.



Let's pray ....


Oh Father, thank you that once again today You kept me totally humbled.  There is just so much pain in the world. So many people are so hungry for love. Thank you that you have given so many people a compassionate heart for a broken world. Open our eyes Jesus to see and to do. We can make a difference starting with 1.  After all, You said we must just start with the little. The little is good enough for me for now until You show me what You need me to do. All for Your glory Father God.

IT IS TIME FOR NEW HANDS TO LIFT THE BURDENS!

No comments: